This club was founded by 8 people on April 6, 2000. This first meeting to found this club held at Sam's in Rumford. The first public meeting was held on April 27, 2000 at the Mexico Town Hall with 37 people attending. We became Incorporated on May 25, 2000. Our first club ride was on June 10, 2000 at the Mt Blue state trail in Weld with 10 people riding.
We started signing the clubs first trail in June of 2001 and have established a Park and Ride at the site of the old Mexico incinerator at the top of Poplar Hill about 3/4 of a mile up Route 17. This park and ride was started in March of 2001 with our first event at this sight being our first Poker Run. This Poker Run drew a large crowd and paid out over $100 in prizes.
We have sponsored three State Certified ATV safety courses that have resulted certifying over 75 "safe riders". We also sponsored a "multi-use" informational meeting on April 3, 2001 that had two guest speakers from the state who spoke to 27 people in attendance.
In our first year of existance we had over 70 paid memberships. In our second year we had over 100 paid memberships. Now in the beginning of our third year we have over 150 members from more than 15 towns. We send a monthly flyer to members announcing upcoming events and items of interest.
Here is a list of other achievements and fundraising events we have been involved with since our start two years ago.
- Cash Raffle - paid out $500 to the winners
- Membership drive contest - paid out $50 to the winners
- Purchased and sold club t-shirts
- Purchased and sold club stickers (one free with paid membership)
- Helped escort and volunteered in the Firemans Parade in Mexico
- Had a booth at the 4th of July festivities in Rumford
- Participated in the Centennial Parade in Rumford
- Held 6 club rides our first year
- Have built over 8 bridges on our trails
- Held an overnight ride in August of 2001
- We have received many generous donations from local individuals and businesses
- Received a "State Grant" of $2500.00 for trails in 2001and 2002
- Held 3 Poker Runs and 1 Pig Roast
- Donated proceeds from Spring Poker Run to Moontide Festival
- Received a "Municipal Grant" of $2568.00 for trails in 2002
- Held a Calendar Raffle in September 2002 as a fund raiser
Best of all...... this club has kept going through the efforts of many dedicated and devoted people!